2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large Onion - finely chopped
3 Garlic Cloves - crushed
3 Large Carrots - chopped into large ‘baby friendly’ chunks
1kg Lean Beef Mince
2 x 400g Cans of Chopped Tomatoes
2 Bay Leaves
2 Sprigs of Rosemary, roughly chopped
300ml red wine (adult portion only)
Parmesan cheese (adult portion only)
3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar (adult portion only)
1 Beef Stock Pot (adult portion only)
4 Rashers of Streaky Bacon, thinly sliced (adult portion only)
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan fry the onion, rosemary and garlic over a medium heat until the onions are softened (keeping aside about a quarter of the onion for later on). Add the minced beef and increase the pan temperature; continue to fry until the mince is nicely browned.
2. Add the one and a half cans (600g) of the chopped tomatoes, the carrots and the bay leaves, and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover with a lid, and leave simmering while you make the rest.
3. Heat a splash more oil in small saucepan and fry the bacon until crispy and golden. Turn the heat down and add the remaining onion until soft. Pour in the wine and the balsamic vinegar and boil until it has reduced in volume by about half. Then stir the remaining 200g of chopped tomatoes in, along with the stock pot and bring back to the boil. Cover with a lid and leave to gently simmer while you cook the pasta.
4. Cook the pasta in salted boiling water. Drain the pasta, and separate baby’s portion into their dish. Ladle baby’s sauce onto their pasta from the large saucepan and set aside to cool while you finish yours.
5. While your baby's dinner cools, combine the contents of the two saucepans, re-cover and leave to simmer for 5 minutes so that the flavours can disperse throughout. Then add the pasta and cook for a further minute or so, stirring continuously. Serve and sprinkle with grated parmesan.