30g Plain Flour
200g Cheddar - grated
1 Cauliflower Head – broken into florets
1/2 A Butternut Squash - chopped into small cubes.
1 Small Handful of Chives or 1 Green Chilli – finely chopped
1 Small Handful of Breadcrumbs
1 Tsp of Black Pepper
1 Tsp Mustard Powder
200g Streaky Bacon – thinly sliced (adult portions only)
Sour cream - to taste (adult portions only)
1. Place the squash in a baking dish (the same one you'll use for the macaroni) with a little olive oil and put in the oven at 200C for 20 minutes.
2. Cook the macaroni according to the instructions on its packaging.
3. Meanwhile, steam the cauliflower florets (about 5 minutes – you still want a bit of a crunch) and fry the bacon until crispy and golden brown.
4. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the flour and the mustard powder - combining to make a thick paste. Gradually add the milk, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Melt in the cheddar, continuing to stir. (Not only does the mustard powder add a little flavour kick - it also releases the nutrients from the cauliflower!)
5. Combine the macaroni, cauliflower, squash, black pepper and cheese sauce in the oven dish, top with breadcrumbs and bake for 15 minutes at 200C
6. Remove from the oven and add sprinkle on the chives before portioning off baby’s dinner. Then top yours with the bacon and sour cream and the chillies if you're using them.